My Pressure Washer Review: Karcher K 5.540 Electric Pressure Washer
A pressure washer is one of those great handy tools that makes your life so much easier. Whether it is washing your car or truck, removing built up dirt from your porch and sidewalk, removing built up dirt and grime from your lawn chairs or lawn equipment, or removing gas and oil from your garage floor and driveway, a pressure washer’s power lets you wash away these unwelcome chores.
After reviewing the features and customer satisfaction ratings of the available pressure washers, I am strongly recommending that you purchase the Karcher K 5.540 X-Series 2,000 PSI Electric Pressure Washer with Hose Reel. The Karcher K 5.540 is a durable, top of the line electric pressure washer for the home which will provide you with professional level cleaning results. The price of any pressure washer is tied closely to the PSI (pounds per square inch) it can deliver. This top quality Karcher pressure washer operates at a powerful 2,000 PSI but is being sold at a very reasonable price.
Features of the Karcher K 5.540 Pressure Washer That I Like
1. Powerful – The Karcher K 5.540 Pressure Washer operates up to 2000 PSI (that is, up to 40 times as much pressure as a normal garden hose) which is just about right for what you need for home use. Using a pressure washer that operates at a lower PSI will require more of your time to do the chores and may not be able to actually do some of the more difficult cleaning jobs. Using a pressure washer with a higher PSI will give you more operating power to work with but chances are that for chores around the home you won’t need it. So you will end up paying for something that you really don’t need! This pressure washer has a Direct-Drive Axial Pump which produces a water volume of 1.4 GPM (gallons per minute). That’s a lot!
2. Special Feature – This pressure washer features an innovative, patented water-cooled induction motor that delivers better performance when you are using the pressure washer and also extends the life of the pressure washer itself. The motor operates on 120 volts (60 Hz).
3. Two Cleaning Wands – The Karcher K 5.540 comes with 2 cleaning wands. For really tough cleaning jobs, you attach and use the DirtBlaster spray wand to blast away the dirt. Using this wand increases the effective pressure by up to 50 percent. For less difficult cleaning, you attach and use the Vario spray wand. This wand allows you to adjust (right on the wand) the amount of pressure that the wand delivers. In addition, twisting to the lowest setting automatically applies detergent from the pressure washer’s built-in detergent tank.
4. 25 Foot High Pressure Hose – This pressure washer comes with a 25 foot pressure hose that provides you with plenty of hose to work with before you have to move the pressure washer itself. In addition, Karcher K 5.540 comes with a built-in pressurized hose reel that allows you to “hand crank” the hose into the washer’s body to protect the hose and for easy movement and storage of the pressure washer itself.
5. Electric – This pressure washer is electric! Few pressure cleaning jobs around the house and yard are very far from an electrical outlet. The pressure washer’s electrical cord stores on the side of the unit. Since the Karcher 5.540 is electric, it has certain advantages over a gas powered pressure washer. You will have no trouble starting it, you won’t need to periodically fill it with gas, and the noise level will be substantially less when you are using it. In addition, good gas pressure washer’s are almost always more expensive.
6. Quick Connect Trigger Gun – This unit comes with a trigger gun that can be quickly connected or disconnected for easy assembly and disassembly. In addition, the trigger gun comes with a Child Safety Lock to help prevent injury if a child’s curiosity gets the better of them, and the pressure washer unit itself has a storage sleeve on the left side of the unit where you can put the trigger gun when it is not in use. Also, the water inlet and outlet also come with Quick Connect.
7. Built-In Detergent Tank – The detergent tank is integrated into the unit and comes with a detergent dosage regulator.
8. Weight & Dimensions – This pressure washer stands upright and weighs 31 pounds (without its accessories) which makes it easy to move around on its 2 large wheels. In addition, it is 15.5 inches long, 16.5 inches wide, and 23 inches high which makes it a convenient size to use (less bending) and store (not too big). This electric pressure washer has a transport handle which you can use to easily push, pull, and maneuver the washer.
9. Warranty – The pressure washer comes with a 1 year limited warranty.
10. Accessories – There are a number of different accessories that you can purchase separately to enhance the use of your Karcher K 5.540 (e.g., Right Angle Spray Wand, Soft Clean Wash Brush, Wet Sandblasting Kit, etc).
Things To Be Aware Of
1. This pressure washer (like most electric pressure washers) stands upright and like all upright tools can be pulled over if you are not careful. Placing a stable object next to and in front of your pressure washer will help prevent that from happening.
2. The Karcher website has a library of videos that you can access and play on your computer that explain everything from using the pressure washer to wash your car or truck to safety tips to troubleshooting problems. You can also download a copy of the Operator Manual for the Karcher K 5.540 on the Karcher website. The Operator Manual covers everything from assembly to safety instructions. In addition , pages 15 and 16 provide cleaning tips for different surfaces (e.g., a deck).
3. The pressure washer’s power cord has a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter that is built into its plug for safety purposes.
4. Assembly is easy (8 steps). All you need is a medium size Phillips screwdriver.
Suggestion: Buy Karcher’s pressure washer cleaning detergent at the same time you buy the Karcher K 5.540 Pressure Washer.
What Do Other Customers Think of the Karcher K 5.540 Electric Pressure Washer?
Amazon customers who have purchased the Karcher K 5.540 Electric Pressure Washer awarded it 4.2 out of a possible 5 stars. This is a good rating! The rating would have been higher (4.5 stars) but one customer, who had trouble obtaining a replacement water inlet quick connect plastic part (which had broken when the pressure washer fell over during use) from Karcher, rated the pressure washer only 1 star. All other customers rated this electric pressure washer at either 4 stars or 5 stars. Here are some examples of the favorable comments:
“I have had this pressure washer for a little over a month now and have been nothing but pleased with it. It does an outstanding job washing my vehicles and is a very high quality pressure washer. It also stores nicely and is about the size of an average stand-up vacuum machine.”
“Wow, I am impressed ! This Karcher Power Washer is powerful and efficient. Any surface that I have ventured to clean has glistened, shined, or sparkled. Great device and easy to use!!”
“I have had other electric pressure washers as well as gasoline pressure washers. I can honestly say that this Karcher outperformed a gasoline pressure washer that I had that was rated at 2300 psi. I am very pleased with this product.”
“I recently bought the Karcher K 5.540 x series 2000 psi electric power Washer. I put it all together no problems .I found no leaks and it worked very well. It was very strong and powerful. It did the job very well I would recommend it.”
“I can’t stop using this machine, it is easy to hook up ,easy to operate, and does a great job! So glad that I bought it.”
Click here to read additional customer reviews.
You can purchase the Karcher K 5.540 Pressure Washer on Amazon. Presently, Amazon is selling this electric pressure washer for about $270. This is a very reasonable price to pay for a top of the line electric pressure washer. Click here to obtain information on this great Karcher pressure washer on Amazon.