Garage Door Opener Reviews: Chamberlain WD822KD Whisper Drive 1/2-HP Belt Drive Garage Door Opener
When we first moved into our home (which is an older home built in the 1950’s), our garage door did not have an electric opener. So for about the first 10 years, my wife and I would manually open and close our two-car garage door. When our old wooden garage door gave out, we had it replaced with a new door. The new door was lighter than our old wooden door but was still a real inconvenience to open and close. Finally, after a couple of more years, we added an electric garage door opener. What a difference! An electric garage door opener is one of the those additions to your home that you make, and after a couple of weeks you are shaking your head about and wondering why you hadn’t made this change years ago. It was certainly one of the wisest moves that we have made for improving our home! You really appreciate it when it is raining out!
If you want to add an electric garage door opener or if you already have a garage door opener but need to replace it, I recommend that you strongly consider choosing the Chamberlain WD822KD Whisper Drive garage Door Opener. When it comes to garage door openers and garage door accessories, Chamberlain (the world’s largest manufacturer of garage door openers) is a widely known and respected name, and the WD822KD is one of Chamberlain’s best garage door openers. This is borne out by its very high Amazon customer satisfaction rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. In addition, the WD822KD has earned the Good Housekeeping seal of approval.
(IMPORTANT NOTE: The Chamberlain WD822KD is designed for your standard 7′ high one piece or sectional garage door. If your door is higher than that (e.g., 8 ‘ or 11′), you will need to also obtain an extension kit (approximately $50 for an 8′ extension kit and $100 for an 10’ extension kit) to install this garage door opener.)
Factors to Consider When Purchasing An Electric Garage Door Opener
- · Enough Power
- · Ease of Installation
- · Noise Level
- · Lighting
- · Remote Control
- · Safety Features
- · Security Features
- · Warranty Period
Chamberlain WD822KD Garage Door Opener
1. Enough Power – The Chamberlain WD822KD is powered by a 1/2 HP (horsepower) motor unit. A 1/2 HP motor unit is the perfect size motor for your standard 2-car garage door. You do not want to choose a smaller motor size than that unless you have a light weight 1-car size garage door. If you have a heavier style door, you probably need to get an opener with a 3/4 HP motor. If you need a 3/4 HP motor, I suggest you take a look at the Chamberlain WD962KD Premium Whisper Drive. It is a little more expensive but has a 4.2 stars customer satisfaction rating.
2. Ease of Installation – Speaking from personal experience, the Chamberlain Whisper Drive is easy to install. My son and I installed a Chamberlain Whisper Drive at his house just last year, and it only took us about 2 1/2 – 3 hours, and it was a new installation. Tip: Be sure and take the time to review the instructions (about 40 pages but easy reading with a lot of detailed illustrations) in the Owner’s Manual before you start, make sure that you have ready at hand all of the installation tools that the Owner’s Manual calls for to install the opener, ask another person to help you with the installation – – – it will make the installation easier, and lastly take your time and follow the instructions in the Owner’s Manual step by step. If you do these four things, you shouldn’t have any trouble with the installation. (Note: you can print an extra copy of the Owner’s Manual from the Chamberlain website if you need one).
3. Noise Level – There are three basic types of electric garage door openers that you can choose: chain-drive, belt-drive, and screw-drive. The chain-drive opener is the oldest type of opener and usually the cheapest but also the noisiest. (Tip: You don’t want to get a chain-drive opener if you have a bedroom over or next to your garage.) The belt-drive opener is generally considered to be the quietest of the three types but costs a little more. While the screw-drive door opener falls between the other two types in terms of cost and noise.
The Chamberlain WD822KD Whisper Drive is a belt-drive opener and is noted for the low level of sound that it generates compared to other garage door openers. It features Chamberlain’s exclusive Motor Vibration Isolation System) which reduces noise by eliminating powerhead (motor) vibration.
4. Lighting – The Chamberlain garage door opener has two light bulb sockets in which you can put two light bulbs up to 100 watts in size. There is a large lens area on each end of the opener that allows the light from the two light bulbs to filter through and light the garage area. The lens are hinged so they swing up and down, and you can easily open and close either lens if you need to replace a light bulb.
5. Remote Control – The Chamberlain WD822KD opener comes with two 3-button remote controls which are easy to use. In addition, it comes with a wired door control that you install on a garage wall near the inside door to the garage so you can open and close your garage door from the doorway and also a keyless entry pad. Also, this Chamberlain garage door opener is compatible with HomeLink (the in-vehicle remote control system).
6. Safety Features – This Chamberlain garage door opener has Protector System safety sensors. These safety sensors project an invisible light beam across the garage door opening and automatically reverse the door if anything interrupts the beam while the garage door is going down. In addition, the sensing technology will stop the door from closing if contact is made with a person or object. Also, the opener’s light turns on automatically whenever the Protector System’s infrared beam is broken. Excellent safety features that you want to have on any garage door!
7. Security Features – The Chamberlain WD822KD’s Security+ anti-burglary technology assures a new code is sent every time the remote control is used. Also, the opener’s PosiLock theft protection assures that once the garage door is closed that it stays locked. (Note: This Chamberlain garage door opener does have a manual release handle that you can pull to open and close the garage door in case there is a power failure.)
8. Warranty Period – The Chamberlain WD822KD comes with a lifetime warranty on the motor and a 10-year warranty on the belt.
Things To Be Aware Of
1. If you are making a new installation (that is, you are not replacing an old opener that has stopped working), you may need to go to the hardware store and purchase some additional hanging brackets. Several customers reviewers reported that they had to do this.
2. When you first install your Chamberlain garage door opener, you should plan on having to do a little minor adjusting until your garage door is opening and closing smoothly.
3. Chamberlain has a number of accessories that you can also purchase. Two popular accessory items include the Chamberlain Garage Door Universal Surge Protector and also the Chamberlain CLULP1 Universal Laser Parking Accessory (this device helps you drive your car to the perfect parking spot when you are pulling into your garage and works with any garage door opener.)
Customer Feedback Rating
The Chamberlain WD822KD Garage Door Opener was rated 4 1/2 out of 5 stars on the Amazon website. As you can tell from this very high rating, the vast majority of customers were extremely pleased with their purchase. Examples:
“Easy to install and very quiet compared to my old chain driven unit. I replaced an existing chain driven garage door opener which died after 10 years of service.”
“This unit was an easy install when replacing my old one. The instructions were clear and I had no problems at all. Bear in mind a new installation will require more time and labor as would with any opener. The unit is quiet as advertised, but if you have a noisy door to start with, it will still be noisy after installing this unit. The best part of this package is the extras are all included: Two small remotes for your car, one lighted wall switch with a control for the light, and an outside wireless keypad. Some of that stuff cost extra with the old Genie unit I had. With the amazon super saver on shipping, this was clearly a best buy for me.”
“I expected this to be a difficult chore, it was easy. I read the instructions, laid out all of the parts on the garage floor, and got to work. Every step was perfectly defined and illustrated. I easily assembled the unit, attached it to the garage, and programmed the remotes in my cars. It took me about three hours. It is very quiet.”
“I bought this door opener as a Christmas present for my family. I spent several weeks looking around and the deal was really good, especially considering the free shipping. I have a one piece door and it is below the Master Bedroom so I wanted as quiet of an opener as possible and while the motor is quieter than the ones I’ve used in years past, it is not “whisper” quiet. The belt definitely is much quieter than chain models, however, as there is no clacking noise on start up. Like other reviewers I had to run to the hardware store to get the mounting brackets for the ceiling and a few extra bolts. Chamberlain does include the mounting straps, but not the L-bracket if you do not have exposed rafters or joists – they can’t provide every potential mounting piece but this one seemed like it should have been included since many garages are drywalled now and the part is not expensive. I am a bit of a perfectionist when doing home projects so my 5-6 hours to install this could probably be cut in half by someone who just wants to get it done. I also had to run a new electrical line. I found the instructions easy to follow and more or less well written – just take your time and read the whole section before you start slapping things together! It took less than an hour to actually put the unit together – most of the time was spent in the adjustments of the mounting and the actual door. The eye beams were perfectly lined up on my first installation, so I didn’t need to fiddle around with that. The controls work great and I really like the outside keypad control. It even allows you to set a temporary code with a time limit to allow access for deliveries, contractors, etc. All-in-all a really good door opener. Now, I am considering an opener for the other door where I keep my motorcycle and I will probably go with Chamberlain again…”
“I heard to stay away from the chain drives especially because the motor would be directly under my office. So I bought a whisper (belt driven). It is very quiet. My garage door rollers are basically the only thing you can hear. I installed it myself in no time. I would/will recommend the whisper drive to anyone in the market.”
“My 10-year old Sears chain drive garage door opener finally gave out. I purchased the Chamberlain opener and was able to replace the old one in about 3 hours time. Very easy installation. I could reuse my existing mounting hardware with the adapters that ship with the Chamberlain. I was even able to hook up my old infrared sensors — so I could skip the mounting and aligning steps for the supplied sensors. We were accustomed to the clatter of the old chain-drive opener. The Chamberlain is very quiet — you barely hear it inside the house.”
You can purchase the Chamberlain WD822KD on Amazon. Presently, Amazon is selling this garage access system for about $210 with free shipping included to shipping addresses in the lower 48 states. Click here to view the Chamberlain WD822KD Whisper Drive Garage Door Opener on Amazon.
Where Can I Read More Customer Feedback Reviews for the Chamberlain WD822KD?
Amazon is a good place to read additional customer feedback reviews. Click here to read more reviews.