My Review of the Black & Decker Alligator Loppers:
Finally, a chain saw for the homeowner that helps eliminate a lot of the safety concerns in using a regular chain saw. Nor does it look like a regular chain saw. Its cutting end looks just like its name implies – – – like the jaws of an alligator. But, its features (particularly its safety features) are what are making this electric chain saw a “must have” for many homeowners.
What Are These Features?
- The Alligator Lopper is light. It weighs less than 8 lbs. This makes it easy for the owner to use and control it.
- To start and operate the Alligator Lopper, the user must have a hand on each handle. Let go of one of the handles and the Lopper stops.
- Metal guards located over the entire top portion of the chain protect the user from the cutting chain in case of a chain “kickback”.
- To use the Lopper, you place the jaws around the log or branch you want to cut. This pretty well eliminates the chain saw bounce which happens when you first start cutting with a regular chain saw.
- The Lopper uses a scissor-type motion which helps the jaw teeth grasp the log or branch and hold it for cutting.
- The Lopper has a 6″ cutting bar which allows it to cut logs and branches up to 4″ in diameter.
- The LP1000 Alligator Lopper (electrical corded) has a 4.5 amp motor that gives the user a lot of cutting power to work with. The NLP1800 Alligator Lopper (battery powered) uses a 18 volt nickel-cadmium battery which Black & Decker indicates provides enough power for 150 1-1/2″ diameter cuts per charge.
- The Looper has a 2 year warranty.
- The Looper has ergonomically designed handles with soft grips that provide comfort and control to the user.
Things To Be Aware Of
- A battery charge will last about 40-50 minutes so if you have a lot of cutting to do, you might want to purchase a second battery (about $40). If you have another Black & Decker 18 volt tool, then you already have a backup battery. Charging a battery will normally take about 6-7 hours.
- If there is a “wart” ( and granted it is a small one) with this tool, it is that the Lopper must be oiled frequently (about every 10 minutes if in continuous use). One customer mentioned the oiling problem but said he solved it by just carrying the oil bottle in his pocket. An oil bottle comes with the lopper.
- The Lopper (like most regular chain saws you buy) does not come with chain oil. You will have to purchase the chain oil separately.
- Since the Lopper runs on electricity, you don’t have to worry about gas or gas cans, but if you get a Model # LP1000 Lopper, you will need an electrical cord.
- Since the Lopper can only cut logs/branches up to 4″ in diameter, you will have to use a regular chain saw to cut larger logs/branches.
- A replacement saw chain for the Lopper costs about $15.
What Is The Customer Review Feedback On The Looper?
Rarely do you find a product that has such strong favorable support. Both Looper models were rated over 4-1/2 stars out of 5 on Amazon by individuals who had previously purchased the Black & Decker Alligator Lopper. There were very few negative comments. Examples of the positive comments included:
“This is one of the best tools I have ever owned!”
“It is extremely quick and quiet.”
“This tool works really great!”
“I bought this saw based on others reviews. It is great. Love the closeable jaws.”
“I have used this several times and it is a true time saver. It cuts quickly and without much effort. Great product.”
“Cuts hours of my yard work down to minutes, and I couldn’t be more pleased with this purchase!”
You can read additional customer feedback from Amazon buyers by clicking here.
Where Can I Purchase a Black & Decker Alligator Lopper?
Like many other tools and products, you can purchase it on Amazon. The LP1000 Alligator Lopper (electrical cord model) presently costs around $70. Click here to access the Amazon site which will provide additional information on this model. The NLP1800 Alligator Lopper (battery powered model) presently costs around $99. Click here to access the Amazon site for more information on this model. At the present time, Amazon provides free shipping to most states for both of these models.