My Snow Thrower Review: WORX WG650 Electric Snow Thrower
A snow thrower (or snow blower) is one of those tools whose success or failure (in the eyes of its owner) is closely tied to the owner’s original expectations for the snow thrower. This is certainly true to some extent for all tools but for some reason seems to be especially true for snow throwers. One buyer will expect it to be a little better than a snow shovel, while another buyer will expect it to perform like a snow plow. I have not been able to really figure out why that is the case unless perhaps it is because there are multiple variables to snowfall (e.g., wet snow versus soft dry snow, 5″ snow fall versus 24″ snow fall, drifts versus an even spreading) all of which impact a person’s expectations.
After reviewing the features of the available snow throwers as well as their customer satisfaction ratings, I am recommending that you purchase the WORX WG650 18-Inch 13 Amp Electric Snow Thrower. This is a powerful but light weight snow thrower that is easy to assemble and use.
Features of the WORX WG650 Electric Snow Thrower
1. Plenty of Power – The WORX WG650 is powered by a 13 ampere electric motor that provides this snow thrower with plenty of power to deal with even snowfall, snow drifts, and snow piles. Since this snow thrower is electric, the power is continuous. In addition, unlike gas powered snow throwers, you don’t have to fool with keeping it filled with gas and oil, with changing sparkplugs, or with trying to get it started when it is really cold out. (Tip: Use a small piece of cord or a short strap to attach the electric cord to the snow thrower’s handle bar to help ensure that the electrical cord does not come out of the snow thrower’s electrical plug.)
2. 18 Inch Capacity – This snow thrower has an 18 inch intake capacity which can clear a path in the snow that is 18 inches wide and 10 inches deep. This size capacity will allow you to remove a large amount of snow very quickly. In addition, the thrower uses a no-mar steel auger (impeller) with replaceable rubber tip. (Tip: For large drifts, use repeated “small bite” pushes into the large snow drift to remove the snow.)
3. 180-Degree Adjustable Chute – The WORX WG650 comes with an adjustable chute that allows you to determine both the distance and height that the snow is thrown. The chute adjuster is easy to reach and use. (Note: The manufacturer says the snow thrower can “throw” snow up to 30′, and it probably can if the snow is extremely dry. But customer reviews indicated that the snow throwing range is more in the neighborhood of 20′ for dry snow and 10′-15′ for wet snow. However, those are still sufficient snow throwing distances in most cases.) (Tip: Spray the chute with WD-40 to help prevent the chute from clogging if you are throwing wet snow.)
4. Adjustable Handle Bars – You can adjust the height of the handle bars to three different settings. These settings allow you to set the handle bars at the height that is best for your own personal size which in turn will help your shoulders and back. (Tip: The first time you use the snow thrower, try using the snow thrower at its three different handle heights to determine which of the three different handle heights is best for you.)
5. Compact Size – Since the WORX WG650 is electric powered, it does not have a large, heavy gasoline engine. Consequently, it is smaller and lighter (just 26.5 pounds) and much easier to maneuver and move around. In addition, when you are through using it, this snow thrower can be stored in a much small space than a regular size gas-powered snow thrower can. (Tip: The WORX WG650 has a collapsible foldable handle that can be collapsed to make the snow thrower even more compact for storage.)
6. Quiet – Since this snow thrower is powered electrically, you don’t have the high noise level that you do with a gasoline engine powered snow thrower. (Tip: Use a long (100′) cold-flexible 12 gauge insulated extension cord.)
7. Easy Assembly – Customer reviews confirmed that assembly of the WORX WG650 was easy and took approximately 15-30 minutes.
What Do Other Customers Think of the WORX WG650 Electric Snow Thrower?
Amazon customers who had purchased this WORX Snow Thrower awarded it 4.1 out of a possible 5 stars. Here are some examples of the many favorable comments:
“I have bought many things from Amazon over the years. I use the reviews to help select the best product and price. This the first time I felt the need to write a review. I just received the Worx snow thrower. put it together with easy. Tested it out at my office on a handicap ramp with OLD HARD & fresh new snow. TO MY AMAZEMENT THIS THING WORKED LIKE AND ANIMAL! it went right to the cement with NO problem. Can wait to bring it home and use around the house. I live in Gloucester Massachusetts, we just had ANOTHER 12 Inches.
The only down side to improve it. Is to have a 100 foot retracting electric cord in it. Then it would be plug and go with no cord on the ground.
worth every penny. a MUST BUY!!”
“I bought the WORX WG650 in Jan. I was able to use it 4-5 times since then. After reading other’s reviews I liked what they said, and bought it. It does what I expected, and more. I can do the driveway, and walk in little time. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to clean the end of the driveway after the plows go by. I took small bites in the 24″ snow left by the plow, and had no trouble. I let my neighbor use it, and he loved it. I would not hesitate to tell a friend to buy this little work horse.”
“This unit arrived as scheduled right on time as promised for the snow that just fell. The box was in perfect shape and it looked good….no dents or not bashed in. The unit looked puny and I didn’t expect it to be very good but it turned out to be an excellent snow-thrower. It scraped the snow off the sidewalk and threw the snow about 25 feet away. This powerful unit fits in my little Prius and is very lightweight. The only complaint I had was that the device that moves the chute right or left kept falling out. I made a little adapter to keep it from falling out and it’s been a good little blower so far. I would recommend it to my friends. Amazon did an excellent job getting the unit to us in a timely manner. It was easy to place an order too.”
“We bought the WORX WG650 18-Inch 13 Amp Electric Snow Thrower based on Amazon customer reviews. It works great removing snow from 3 major snowstorms in the Boston area. As soon as we assembled it, we plugged in the extension cord (recommended by Amazon) and it worked!! Amazing! We cleared the back deck of 3′ of old snow. The next day and 10″ of new snow we cleared the driveway and walkway on the side of the house. I’m still in awe that this little machine actually does as advertised and more!
Cheers to WORX and to Amazon!”
Click here to read additional customer reviews.
You can purchase the WORX WG650 on Amazon. Presently, Amazon is selling this electric snow thrower for about $210, which is a 39% savings from this snow thrower’s normal list price of $344.88. This is an excellent price to buy this electric snow thrower at. Click here to obtain information on the WORX WG650 Electric Snow Thrower on Amazon.